Re: CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO recently broken

> For some reason it isn't post-pending the local GIT version
> string to the destination module directory so the modules
> get installed in the wrong place and upon reboot are not found.
>
> This started happening some time within the last 2 days.
>
> Any ideas? :-)
You do not have git installed so root can find them, and you install
modules as root - this causes the wrong KERNELRELEASE to be defined.
Obviously it is not the right fix to install git in a 'root' location so
I have implemented a solution in my tree where we only update
KERNELRELEASE when we build a kernel.
This solution required that "make install" do not try to update vmlinux -
so this dependency is now zapped.
I do not have access to my linux box atm, but you can find the patches in
lkml archieves and at:
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sam/kbuild.git

I've asked Linus to pull so we get this fix propagated soonish.

     Sam