Re: system keeps freezing once every 24 hours / random apps crashing

Mark v Wolher wrote:

> Jesper Juhl wrote:
>
>>On 12/30/05, Trilight <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>Hiya,
>>>
>>>I'm using the 2.6.14.5 kernel and i notice that the system freezes
>>>sometimes, within 24 hours usually, a total freeze, no mouse/keyb
>>>reaction. Also i notice that apps crash randomly sometimes.
>>>

>>When did this start to happen? Was it OK with a previous kernel
>>version? if it was ok with a previous version, then what was that
>>version?
>>Was it OK before you added a particular piece of hardware? If so, what
>>hardware? Have you tried removing that hardware to see if the problem
>>goes away?
>>

>>>What can i do to investigate this ?
>>>

>>A few things you can try :
>>
>>1) Start by providing some more info. Some details on your
>>hardware/software. Something like the following + whatever else you
>>consider relevant :
>> - name and version of your Linux distribution
>> - output of the  scripts/ver_linux  script found in the kernel source
>> - your kernels .config file
>> - full  dmesg  output after boot
>> - Motherboard name/model
>> - output of  cat /proc/cpuinfo
>> - output of  cat /proc/meminfo
>> - output of  lspci -vv
>> - output of  lsusb
>>
>>2) Tell us what you have already tried in order to try and resolve the
>>problem, including your results with the various things you've tried.
>>
>>3) Try building/running a kernel with the various debug options found
>>in the kernel hacking section turned on and see if that results in
>>more details in dmesg/logs etc and provide the extra info if any.
>>
>>4) Try building a 2.6.15-rc7-git4 kernel with the same config and see
>>if that one also has problems.
>>
>>Make sure your hardware is OK, CPU not overheating, RAM is OK (run
>>memtest86 with all tests enabled overnight) etc.
>>
>>Try removing all extra hardware components in your system you don't
>>need for the system to boot and see if the problem then goes away. If
>>it does, try adding back hardware one piece at a time and re-test,
>>find out if it's related to a certain piece of hardware or a specific
>>driver.
>

> <..>
>
> Thanks for the advise !
>
> About the memory test, i did that, 7 full passes, no errors, it's 512mb
> ecc memory btw. I'm going to let it, when i go to sleep, run the whole
> night.
>
> hardware:
>
> System is a dell precision workstation 650, dual xeon 2.4ghz w/HT, intel
> E7505 motherboard.
>
> distro: debian sarge
> kernel: vanilla 2.6.14.5
>
> for the rest there is nothing special to see in dmesg output, lspci or
> with lsusb. cpuinfo shows everything what it should show.
>
> Memoinfo:
>
> MemTotal:       512528 kB
> MemFree:          8760 kB
> Buffers:          2656 kB
> [...]

I'm not sure what to make of this, but it looks like only 1 cpu is kept
busy with interrupts:

           CPU0       CPU1       CPU2       CPU3
  0:    1033372          0          0          0    IO-APIC-edge  timer
  1:      10346          0          0          0    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
  7:          0          0          0          0    IO-APIC-edge  parport0
  8:    4795679          0          0          0    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
  9:          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-level  acpi
 14:         29          0          0          0    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
 15:         21          0          0          0    IO-APIC-edge  ide1
169:      12646          0          0          0   IO-APIC-level  eth0
177:     166090          0          0          0   IO-APIC-level  bttv0
185:         59          0          0          0   IO-APIC-level
uhci_hcd:usb4
193:      76030          0          0          0   IO-APIC-level  ide2, ide3
201:          5          0          0          0   IO-APIC-level
ehci_hcd:usb1
209:     681735          0          0          0   IO-APIC-level
uhci_hcd:usb2, nvidia
217:     465677          0          0          0   IO-APIC-level
uhci_hcd:usb3
225:          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-level  Intel
82801DB-ICH4
233:      33792          0          0          0   IO-APIC-level  EMU10K1
NMI:          0          0          0          0
LOC:    1033319    1033572    1033571    1033570
ERR:          0
MIS:          0