Re: PROBLEM: cannot boot 2.6.15-rc6 on Opteron machine

> >there is no such procedure, because the disk labels are... ON THE DISK.
> >And the initrd reads them from all the disks at boot time to find the
> >one needed. This means that if your disk changes name (for example
> >because of a scsi bus order change or because of a different order you
> >load the device drivers... or even if you forget to compile the sata
> >drivers and suddenly the disk goes from /dev/sda to /dev/hda).... things
> >just remain working

Interesting.  I've been compiling my own kernels for quite some time and
have never had a boot device end up anywhere except where I thought it
should.  This includes during the 2.5 craziness when parts of ide support
was rewritten at least twice.

> Compile the kernel with support for your hardware built in, i'm assuming you
> eighter build the controller as a module or didn't built it at all

Certainly this is the best advice.  Not only support for the hardware, but
also ext3 journalling as well as ext2 support.  I think it may be possible
to end up with ext2 builtin but ext3 journalling as modular.