Re: PROBLEM: cannot boot 2.6.15-rc6 on Opteron machine

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Erez Zilber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've downloaded kernel 2.6.15-rc6 (had the same problem with rc7) and built it
> on RHAS 4:
>
> When I did that on an Opteron machine, after rebooting and selecting the
> 2.6.15-rc6 entry in the grub menu, I get the following:
>
> Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
>
> I made sure that ext2 is compiled with the kernel (not as a module).
>
> When I do the same on an emt64 machine, everything works ok. Any idea?

Check on your /boot/grub.config.  The above error message is typically
seen when the root= parameter points to a symbolic disk label instead of a
specific disk such as /dev/hda1.  I'm not sure what the procedure for
updating where the label points (possibly a mkinitrd) because I normally
change the grub.conf to point to a specific disk.