Re: userspace breakage

Cuma 30 Aralık 2005 00:41 tarihinde, Dave Jones şunları yazmıştı:
[...]
> The udev situation I mentioned has been known about for at least a month,
> probably longer. With old udev, we don't get /dev/input/event* created
> with 2.6.15rc.
>
> At some point in time it became defacto that certain things like udev,
> hotplug, alsa-lib, wireless-tools and a bunch of others have to have kept
> in lockstep with the kernel, and if it breaks, it's your fault for not
> upgrading your userspace.
>
> Seriously, I (and many others) have been complaining about this
> for months. (Pretty much every time the "Please can we have a 2.7"
> thread comes up). [note, that I actually prefer the 'new' approach
> to development in 2.6, what I object to is that at the same time we
> threw out the 'lets be careful about not breaking userspace' mantra.]
>
> Just a few years ago, if someone suggested breaking a userspace
> app in a kernel upgrade, they'd be crucified on linux-kernel, now
> it's 'the norm').

We had two userspace wireless monitoring program depending
on /sys/class/net/<device name>/wireless directory to be present and now its
gone in 2.6.15 and I can't find one line of changelog where its gone or
why. /sys seems to be the mostly abused part of kernel-userspace relationship
with changing paths,names and now disappearing directories....

Regards,
ismail