Re: buffer cache question

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nate Diller" <[email protected]>
To: "JaniD++" <[email protected]>
Cc: <[email protected]>; <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 5:10 AM
Subject: Re: buffer cache question

Yes, i have read this helpful document, but there is about the memory usage,
mapping, and not exactly the buffering/caching.
Yes, i use the 2.6 series NBD.

> if you don't have highmem support (CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G) enabled, then
> enabling that should fix it.  if you already have it enabled (it
> looked like it to me, based on your /proc/meminfo) then there is a bug
> somewhere.

Yes, it is enabled.

> it would seem from a brief inspection that the send/recv_bvec
> functions in nbd (2.6.13) do use kmap.  I don't know the nbd code very
> well, it seems that Pavel Machek wrote the code, he or block layer
> maintainer Jens Axboe may know something I don't.  So if enabling
> highmem in your .config doesn't help, try CC'ing them with your issue.
>  in the mean time, one of the memory split patches, such as the 4G:4G
> patch, should get things working.

The NBD use buffer cache (i am sure), but the highest limit is about
830-840M.

Where can i get the split patch?

Thanks for helpful answers!

Cheers,