Re: bad pmd filemap.c, oops; 2.4.30 and 2.4.32

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Willy Tarreau wrote:
On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 01:33:47AM -0800, Chris Stromsoe wrote:

The machine is a dual P4 Xeon with hyperthreading on. It can probably get by with only one cpu enabled. If/when it goes down again, I'll boot with nosmp. For what it's worth, I ran a Dell memory tester ("MP Memory") which claims to test all of the CPUs for a few hours and didn't come up with anything. The machine feeds usenet and is seeing a lot more io than cpu. (There are two Adaptec controllers, 4 channels, aic79xx, 5 drives on one channel, 3 unused, spool is on a 4 disk raid5, jfs formatted.)

OK, I've found two old similar reports from people running news servers  :
 http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0308.1/0807.html
 http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2004/Jan/5699.html

both were using an SMP server with an AIC7xxx adapter, and kernels varying from 2.4.18 to 2.4.24. One of them used XFS and not JFS, so we will exclude any potential JFS-related cause for now.

I am also building with highmem/4Gb support, which one of the reports mentioned. I did not have any pmd messages while running 2.4.26 or 2.4.27, built with the same set of options (make oldconfig dep clean bzimage .... )

If you feel brave, you can try to switch the AIC7xxx driver to Justin Gibbs' more recent version, but which has not evolved during last year, but which I have running reliably on production servers :

  http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/

I also have it rediffed for recent kernels if you prefer :

http://w.ods.org/kernel/2.4-wt/2.4.32-wt2/patches-2.4.32-wt2/pool/aic79xx-20040522-linux-2.4.30-pre3.rediff

I've pulled the patch and saved it. I don't want to change more than one thing at a time. I'll try the alternate driver if booting with nosmp doesn't help.

Out of curiosity, it would be interesting to disable swap if you have it enabled.

I'm running with 4G of swap, but usually don't dip more than 30M or 40M into it. I'll add disabling swap to the list of things to check.

-Chris