Re: [RFC] CPU scheduler: Simplified interactive bonus mechanism

Peter Williams wrote:
Nick Piggin wrote:

Back on topic: I don't think that this patch isn't clearly

I assume that the double negative here is accidental and you mean that this scheduler isn't clearly better than the current one.

Yep.

better than what currently exists, nor would require less
testing than any other large scale changes to the scheduler
behaviour.

So, as Con seems to imply, it is JASW (just another scheduler
rewrite).

Not a rewrite just some major surgery to one small part (at least when compared to nicksched, staircase and the SPA schedulers). This doesn't effect the run queue structure or the load balancing mechanisms. Or,

Well, the runqueue structure is the "easy" part of it. And load balancing
should not be changed at all[*] by any of these things because we are talking
about a per-CPU runqueue model.

[*] Apart from obvious and really hard to analyse things like which task is
    actually running at a point in time, and changing the cache-hotness of
    things...

for that matter, even the bonus mechanism itself other than the calculation of the bonus as the way the bonus is applied once calculated is unchanged.

OK maybe it isn't as large scale a change as one of the rewrites, however
it still is going to probably wildly change behaviour of situations outside
the little box you analysed and found it to be an improvement for.

But points to you for experimenting and trying new things. Don't let me
put you off because I'm not much of an expert on ingosched so it may not
be as large a change as I'm making it out to be.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.