Re: [RFC] CPU scheduler: Simplified interactive bonus mechanism

Nick Piggin wrote:
Con Kolivas wrote:

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 05:24 pm, Peter Williams wrote:

This patch implements a prototype version of a simplified interactive
bonus mechanism.  The mechanism does not attempt to identify interactive

---

Your comments on this proposal are requested.

---

If we're going to redo the interactivity estimator I happen to have a whole cpu scheduler design that is interactive by design without being a state machine that I've been hacking / maintining / debugging for 2 years that many people are already using in production...

What do you mean interactive by design (presumably as opposed
to the current scheduler which is not interactive by design)?

And what do you mean by not being a state machine?

Back on topic: I don't think that this patch isn't clearly

I assume that the double negative here is accidental and you mean that this scheduler isn't clearly better than the current one.

better than what currently exists, nor would require less
testing than any other large scale changes to the scheduler
behaviour.

So, as Con seems to imply, it is JASW (just another scheduler
rewrite).

Not a rewrite just some major surgery to one small part (at least when compared to nicksched, staircase and the SPA schedulers). This doesn't effect the run queue structure or the load balancing mechanisms. Or, for that matter, even the bonus mechanism itself other than the calculation of the bonus as the way the bonus is applied once calculated is unchanged.

Not that there's anything wrong with that... except
it is not really a good fix for a problem with the current
scheduler.

Probably not in its present form but with a little refinement I think that it may provide a solution. As I see it the current strategy of trying to identify interactive tasks and then giving them bonuses is the cause of most of the remaining problems because it's hard to do and if you get it wrong and identify non interactive tasks as interactive tasks it can have long lasting bad effects on the scheduling quality. So I think a strategy that makes bonuses more ephemeral has some chance of success. Only time and testing will tell.

I think that the big advantage of the patch (at the moment) is that it's easy to understand. Which in turn makes it easier to tweak.

Peter
--
Peter Williams                                   [email protected]

 -- Ambrose Bierce