Re: [RFC] CPU scheduler: Simplified interactive bonus mechanism

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Ingo Molnar <[email protected]> wrote:

* Peter Williams <[email protected]> wrote:

This patch implements a prototype version of a simplified interactive bonus mechanism. The mechanism does not attempt to identify interactive tasks and give them a bonus (like the current mechanism does) but instead attacks the problem that the bonuses are supposed to fix, unacceptable interactive latency, directly.

i think we could give this one a workout in -mm, to see the actual effects. Would you mind to merge this to -mm's scheduler queue, to right after sched-add-sched_batch-policy.patch?

i have done this for latest -mm, see the patch below (i also merged your patch to the SCHED_BATCH patch's effects), but the resulting kernel has really bad interactivity: e.g. simply starting 4 CPU hogs on a 2-CPU system slows down shell commands like 'ls' noticeably. So NACK for the time being.

OK. I didn't really think this was ready for the big time yet without some refinement which is why I RFC'd it rather than posting it as a patch.

How good the interactive responsiveness really was one of my concerns as it's hard to evaluate. Just because it seemed to work well on my system doesn't mean that it works well everywhere. I did test it with 16 hard spinners on my SMT workstation but I was mainly looking at things like X responsiveness and the rythmbox music player and not shell commands.

I think that from a theoretical point of view shell commands won't do well with this scheduler (as it stands) as they don't do many interactive sleeps and hence are unlikely to accrue any bonuses. So that means back to the drawing board. It also means that interactive latency isn't the only important latency. Perhaps all latencies need to be considered with interactive latencies being given more weight. (This would be consistent with the current scheduler which only completely discounts sleep that is marked TASK_NONINTERACTIVE and just heavily discounts uninterruptible sleep.)

Thanks for the feed back. You've given me something to think about and I think these issues can be addressed without very little extra complexity. If not I'll just shelve the idea.

Peter
--
Peter Williams                                   [email protected]

 -- Ambrose Bierce