Opterons and setting the pci bus master bit

Problem, I have a number of dual processor Opterons that do not work with pci expansion chassis'. The reason that they do not work is because none of the cards discovered in the chassis get the pci bus master bit set in their command register. If I manually set this bit in our cards everything is fine. When we connect the same chassis to an Intel P4 box everything is fine. It looks like it is the kernel that sets this bit because we have never set it in any of our drivers, yet on the intel boxes it gets set. Why would this bit not be set when the chassis is connected to an Opteron. We are running 32-bit mode BTW. I am using a 2.6.11.9 kernel. Is this a motherboard problem or could this be a kernel problem?

Thanks
Mark