Re: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx into the kernel

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 17:29 +1000, Douglas Gilbert wrote:

snippage.

> For SAS we have a well thought out definition for what the
> interface should be to hardware specific drivers IMO. It is
> called CSMI, rechristened SDI. The editor of SDI is also
> the editor of SAS, SAS-1.1 and SAS-2. Judging from his work,
> he knows his stuff. Unfortunately SDI uses ioctls to define
> its interface, which is mainly between two kernel layers
> (if one ignores pass throughs).

I talked to one of the authors of these specs.  SDI is an attempt to
create an open standard for the somewhat proprietary CSMI spec developed
by HP.  It is currently languishing in t10 due to the IOCTL problem you
describe below (the "no new IOCTL's" doctrine caught them by surprise).
There is some thought to going to a write()/read() on a character device
model, but this has various problems as well.

> Sorry, did I mention "ioctl",
> oh that makes SDI unacceptable. Almost a year ago that is what
> happened to the first proposed SAS driver for Linux.

That was one of the reasons the MPT Fusion and Adaptec drivers were
rejected.  There were others as well, such as lack of a SAS transport
class.

Andrew