Re: [patch 1/1] cpufreq_conservative: invert meaning of 'ignore_nice'

Blaisorblade <[email protected]> [20050929 13:46:33 +0200]:

> On Thursday 29 September 2005 10:44, Alexander Clouter wrote:
>
> > WARNING: this obvious breaks any userland tools that expect things to be
> > the other way round.  This patch clears up the confusion but should go in
> > ASAP as at the moment it seems very few tools even make use of this
> > functionality; all I could find was a Gentoo Wiki entry.
>
> My suggestion on this is to rename the flag too, as ignore_nice_load (or
> ignore_nice_tasks, choose your way). Don't forget to do it in docs too.

'ignore_nice_tasks' gets my vote..

> So userspace tools will error out rather than do the reverse of what they were
> doing, and the user will fix the thing according to the (new) docs.
>
> This is the way we avoid problems in kernel code, when changing APIs (I read
> Linus talking about this), so I assume it's ok?

Makes a lot of sense.  I'll roll out some new patches this evening and submit
them.

Regards

Alex

> --
> Inform me of my mistakes, so I can keep imitating Homer Simpson's "Doh!".
> Paolo Giarrusso, aka Blaisorblade (Skype ID "PaoloGiarrusso", ICQ 215621894)
> http://www.user-mode-linux.org/~blaisorblade

> Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi e allegati da 10MB
> http://mail.yahoo.it

< An idle mind is worth two in the bush. >
        \   ^__^
                ||----w |
                ||     ||