Re: Slow loading big kernel module in 2.6 on PPC platform

--- Samuel Masham <[email protected]> wrote:

> I assume you are on a slow ppc32 platform.
>
> The time taken is a function of the number of symbols, you can work
> around it
> as shown in the patch below. Obviously this is just an example
> patch and is
> NOT signed off for anything but reading :)
>
> I would really like do some work on a pre-link for modules but
> don't really know
> where to start.
>
> Any hints?
>
> Samuel
>
> ps Not subscribed, just  so please cc me

Appreciate your help.
I applied your patch manually since something was wrong during
patching. I guess we might not use same version of kernel. Mine is
2.6.8.

But the function parse_args_reloc() still failed even though I have
passed a module param like elf_plt_info=1 during insmod. Here's the
command to load the module.

#>insmod mrbig.ko elf_plt_info=1

And console output is:
init_module: consider insmod mrbig elf_plt_info=25,27,322144,160

I have no idea what the plt section is and what is going on in
module_frob_arch_sections() function. Any hints or documents I can
refer to?

Thanks,
Wilson Li