Re: CD writer is burning with open tray

Karel Kulhavy wrote:
Hello

I ran cdrecord -tao dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 speed=8 /home/clock/cdrom.iso on
2.6.12-gentoo-r10 and it burned a good CD.

Then I repeated the same command (press up and enter) and it
1) Burned two bad CD's with a strip near the central area
2) Third CD burned bad
3) When rerun cdrecord says
cdrecord: Drive does not support TAO recording.
cdrecord: Illegal write mode for this drive.

I should note here that I didn't hotplug the hardware - I can't
understand how supported modes can change on the fly...

My guess is that your writer is bad, or at minimum needs a firmware upgrade. However, is this the real cdwrite program from Joerg Schilling, or is it one of the hacked versions which come with some distributions with mods to burn DVDs?

I would also specify the real device name, like dev=/dev/hdX, and drop the speed= option and let it choose one it likes. You may also want to use the -atip option to see what cdrecord thinks about your drive.
--
   -bill davidsen ([email protected])