Re: em64t speedstep technology not supported in kernel yet?

Richard Wohlstadter wrote:
Hello all,

We recently had Intel give our company a roadmap presentation where they told us that their enhanced speedstep technology was supported by linux kernels 2.6.9+. I have since tried to get cpufreq speedstep driver to work with no luck on our em64t Xeon 3.6g processors. Intel even has a webpage describing the technology and how to get it working at url: http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/asmo-na/eng/195910.htm?prn=Y

I think this is a BIOS problem; the BIOS needs to provide the proper ACPI frequency/voltage tables for cpufreq to use. You might want to harass your system/motherboard vendor.

Alternately maybe you can find someone who can give you the secret table and then you can just hardcode it into the driver.

The only processor I have had luck with so far is a 32-bit Xeon with the p4-clockmod driver(which does not appear to be present in the x86-64 kernel).

Beware that p4-clockmod won't increase the power efficiency of your system. (As an aside, clock modulation is so simple that you can do it from userspace in a few lines of C if you modprobe msr. This works on x86-64.)

Wes Felter - [email protected]