Re: CD writer is burning with open tray

On Thursday 29 September 2005 14:19, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
> Hello
>
> The activity LED is flashing or shining even when the mechanics is open
> and I can look into the laser lens!  However I didn't see any dim red
> light - looks like the laser switches off when the tray is open.
>
> Is it possible to get eye damage due to faulty kernel driver?

as DervishD already explained, the kernel driver doesn't, but lasers can
easily cause severe irreversible eye damage. doesn't matter if you actually
*see* the laser beam. NEVER use a non-closed cd drive (either standard simple
stereo units or dvd burners, they all present similar dangers). most drives
have hardware safety features that disable all lasers when tray is open, but
some other may not...

[]
--

Pedro João Lopes Venda