Re: [Perfctr-devel] 2.6.14-rc2-mm1 new perfmon2 kernel patch available

Hello,

An updated version of the kernel patch I released yesterday
is available. It fixes the following problems:
	- compilation errors on Fedora Core 4 with gcc-4.x (reported by John Reiser)
	- range restriction not working on Itanium processors.
	- time-based event set switching not working on X86-64

You can grab the new release at:
	http://www.sf.net/projects/perfmon2

as kernel-patch: 2.6.14-rc2-mm1-050929

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 03:33:31AM -0700, Stephane Eranian wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am pleased to announce that I have released an  updated version
> of new-perfmon2 code base. This patch is against 2.6.14-rc2-mm1.
>
> This new releases includes:
> 	- several bug fixes
> 	- many performance improvements (a PMD read on Itanium2 is down to 645 cycles).
> 	- a lot of code simplifications
> 	- support for P4/Xeon 32-bit (e.g., family 15 model 2).
> 	  includes support for HyperThreading(HT).
> 	- a P4/Xeon 32-bit sampling format for Precise Event Based sampling (PEBS)
>
> The patch is known to work for all Itanium processors, P6/Pentium M,
> AMD X86-64, P4/Xeon 32-bit. I do not have a lot of user level support for P4 so
> testing was limited. Hopefully some people on this list may help with this.
> The EM64T is currently broken and must be updated to match the level of
> the P4/Xeon 32-bit version. The ppc64 portion has not been tested at all,
> it might not even compile.
>
> For all PMU models, the mapping from PMC/PMD to actual PMU registers is
> accessible through /proc/perfmon_map. That is useful for people porting
> applications from other interfaces.
>
> I encourage everybody to test this patch on their machine and report any
> problems.
>
> You can download the new patch from our project website at:
>
> 	http://www.sf.net/projects/perfmon2
>
> as release: 2.6.14-rc2-mm1-050928
>
> Enjoy,
>
> --