RE: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx into the kernel

On Wednesday, September 28, 2005 10:59 AM, Luben Tuikov wrote:
> On 09/28/05 11:15, Moore, Eric Dean wrote:
> > Luben: I guess you didn't get what I meant.
> >
> > I was referring that there are other
> > *vendors* (not LSI, e.g MegaRAID) that are
> > working on sas solutions with sas firmware
> > implementation. One that comes to mind is
> > Intel SunRise Lake, which is non a MPT based
> > solution, that would work with Christophs
> > Sas Layer. There maybe others, such as emulex.
> > Perhaps James S. could comment on that.
>
> This means that they have an IOP on the same
> silicone or on the same packaging.
>
> This means, again that they'd done all transport
> specific tasks in the FW (by the IOP).

Can you stop this tirade, e.g. conspiracy theory,
in regards to LSI/MPT and the transport layer?
That is not the case.   There will be other sas
solutions that implement discovery, and
sas/sata translation in firmware, higher level
event handling.

> Again, such solutions do _not_ need the
> SAS Transport Layer.
>
> They don't even need the attributes, but
> as a "nice to have" feature, you can use
> transport attributes.

Have you forgotten about CSMI/SDI?  It was
nearly a year ago I got blasted when I posted
a sas driver with all those IOCTLs.  CSMI/SDI
is more than a "nice to have" feature.
Its taken quite a bit of time(and greif)
to re-design the driver so it will work with
the transport layers in the way people on this
forum wanted it. Trust me, its been painful.

> You, as technical person, should recognize
> the different needs and thus the different
> solutions between LSI's implementation and
> Adaptec's.
>
> I'm surprised you never chimed in in defense
> of the _different_ technology.
>
> See, I've mentioned many times that the two
> radically different technologies can coexist.
> But I've not heard any technical word
> from the other guys: you.

I just don't have time to engage you.
I've got work to do, customer requests, issues,
etc.

Eric Moore