Re: fat / multi arch binaries?

On 9/28/05, Andreas Jellinghaus <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does linux support binaries with code
> for several architectures? I read that
> elf allowes that, and for example
> apple plans to use it on mac os X,
> but I couldn't find anything whether
> such binaries would work with linux
> or not. can you tell me?

OSX begat from NeXT and NeXT had these same "fat binaries". They are not new :)

> if linux supports that, it should
> also work for merging x86 and x86_64
> into one binary? would ther be a way

you don't want that ;)

> to run the 32bit version in the 64bit
> kernel, if requested? are there any

32bit user-space can run 100% on 64bit kernel, this is usual in sparc
if i'm not mistaken

> tools to create such binaries?
>
> with google I found info from 97
> that indicades elf format has no
> provision for fat binaries and linux
> doesn't support them. is that still
> true?

just remember that linux is mainly about source access, so having
"fat" binaries is just wrong because the one-true-way is to get the
sources and compile for your arch directly. this can be done by hand,
semi-automated (aka gentoo) or automated (aka debian, fedora, etc...)
by just installing from precompiled binaries

> Thanks, Andreas
> -

Greetz, Antonio Vargas aka winden of network

http://wind.codepixel.com/

Every day, every year
you have to work
you have to study