Re: 2.6.12 initrd module loading seems parallel on bootup

Darryl L. Miles schrieb:

The exact patch for kernel/module.c that was marked for 2.6.11-rcX hit general release in patch-2.6.12.
That explains a lot. Thanks for clarification : )

What $PID is bash running as ? Martin's comments on this are seem most relevant.
The initramfs contains /init which is a shell script, while /bin/sh is bash. So I figure bash is running with PID 1, but I'll verify that by adding echo $$ to the init script.

Can you build your own (2 pages of code) init process, that does something along the lines of
* gracefully handles SIGCHLD
* forks
* executes bash
* waits for bash to exit much like the patch does

So bash is not running a pid 1. While nash is expected to run as init, bash is not, so fixing bash might also break it (its a complex beast).

I'm not (yet) too much into C programming, so I'm afraid I won't be able to do that. As this problem arises only due to my own early-userspace setup, I'd rather try using different shells for init-as-shell-script, and maybe do some not-so-clean hacks to get the bigger picture.

As this is not a kernel issue, I'd rather take this one off LKML and write a success report once appropriate.

Thanks for your help to everyone involved : )