Re: [ANNOUNCE] ndevfs - a "nano" devfs

Am Dienstag, 28. Juni 2005 22:08 schrieben Sie:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 02:00:08PM +0200, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> > > And impossible for the kernel to generate given hotpluggable devices.
> >
> > That is not true. The kernel can generate predictable device names.
> > It just cannot generate _stable_ device names under all circumstances.
>
> Well, I view "canonical" as, "this is the name for this specific device,
> and will always be that name".  But, if others think of it differently,
> hey, that's fine with me too.

Isn't the canonical way to use canonical to mean a name that is independent
of a particular system but set in a standard? Such a name could be generated
only if the device itself is unique. Short of network cards and
bluetooth devices you'll be short on canonical, stable names.

In other cases you have heuristics and system configuration. These are nice
to have, but have limits and problems. Firstly, they are heuristics and thus
a bit risky to use. Secondly, they sometimes need system configuration.
And this very much limits usefullness to embedded and indeed single user
systems.

What devfs and udev can do, and a static dev cannot, is names independent
of order of detection. As for ressources, it is an illusion to think that user
space means less ressources. A demon means page tables and a kernel
stack. That 12K unswappable memory in the best case.

	Regards
		Oliver