Re: accessing loopback filesystem+partitions on a file

oh, bugger :)

xen guest OSes manage it fine - the xen layer provides a means to
present any block device as a "disk".

that loopback filesystems cannot be presented as block devices
by the linux kernel (with no involvement of xen) seems to be
a curious omission.

... loopbackblock.ko, anyone?

btw the [as yet formally-unannounced] project is at
http://hands.com/d-i.  try the xen0 install and then follow
the instructions for creating a guest domain [by booting debian
installer in a guest domain, as opposed to running debootstrap,
the "normal" xen recommended method].

fortunately, phil has fixed the xen-guest-install, such that it
completes successfully.

that _still_ leaves a hard-disk-with-its-partitions in an actual LVM
partition which is totally inaccessible.

okay - i _say_ inaccessible: there is always the possibility of finding
a spare hard drive, and then doing "dd if=/dev/vg/xen0hda of=/dev/hdd".

this being 2005 last time i checked, it does seem to me to
be a rather large waste of a) an entire hard drive b) time
spent copying.

*sigh*.

sadly, answers on back of envelope ideally need to involve a
tool or procedure of some sort that can be run by dummies such
as myself on a regular basis without fear of major-cock-up,
rather than something [ending oh say in .pl] that stands a good
chance of being exorcised [or exercised] as voodoo witchcraft.

unmitigated steaming "perl" advocates need not respond.  please.

l.