IDE probing IDE_MAX_HWIFS

Hello everybody,

I am investigating the IDE probing at boot (i386), and wanted to find an easy
way to pass the 'noprobe' command line to all the (non-existant) IDE
interfaces at once(ish) rather than having 'ide2=noprobe ide3=noprobe
ide4=noprobe...'

Now I have traced the code, I see that HWIFS is 6 or 10
include/asm-i386/ide.h:

#ifndef MAX_HWIFS
# ifdef CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI
#define MAX_HWIFS       10
# else
#define MAX_HWIFS       6
# endif
#endif

Looking at the Kconfig, I see APLHA & SUPERH do get an option to change this
to suit
drivers/ide/Kconfig

config IDE_MAX_HWIFS
        int "Max IDE interfaces"
        depends on ALPHA || SUPERH
        default 4
        help
          This is the maximum number of IDE hardware interfaces that will
          be supported by the driver. Make sure it is at least as high as
          the number of IDE interfaces in your system.

Now my question :-)  Is there a specific reason why this isn't included in
other architectures?  I am asking as I guess one hell of a lot of people
running on i386 have only two IDE interfaces anyway, and it could do with
defining it as 2...

Thanks,

Nick
--