Re: reiser4 plugins

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 10:17:06PM -0500, David Masover wrote:
> I was able to recover from bad blocks, though of course no Reiser that I
> know of has had bad block relocation built in...  But I got all my files
> off of it, fortunately.

My experience shows that you've been very, very lucky.  I hope r4 is
better in that regard.

If you want to try with r3, take a well-used partition[1] and copy it
at block level to another partition or a file.  Then zero some random
spans of blocks in the copy and reiserfsck --rebuild-tree it.  My
experience is that you'll usually get the files names and directory
tree but their contents will have been scattered all over the place.

  OG.

[1] I suspect a minimum of fragmentation is in order to see the
problem