Re: Updated git HOWTO for kernel hackers

Linus Torvalds <[email protected]> writes:
> And if you have more than a few files dirty in your tree, I really think
> it's much better to do "git status" and think about it a bit and select
> the files you do want to commit than it is to just do "git commit" and let
> it rip.
>
> Now, I could well imagine adding an "--all" flag (and not even allow the
> shorthane version) to both git-update-cache and "git commit". So that you
> could say "commit all the dirty state", but you'd at least have to think
> about it before you did so.

I think both modes of operation are useful -- sometimes I want to hack
in the tree and later decide what to commit, and sometimes I know
exactly what sequence of commits I want to make and do a series of
"change-some-files then commit everything" steps.

In the latter case, it's very convenient to have commit just grab
everything and clear the slate for my next step.  Morever, I use the
latter style enough that I think even the requirement of a long option
seems annoying and artificial; a short option would be fine though...

-Miles
--
Any man who is a triangle, has thee right, when in Cartesian Space, to
have angles, which when summed, come to know more, nor no less, than